View Larger Map
Built c. 1753 for William Randolph III, Wilton was home to the Randolphs for more than 100 years. A tobacco plantation of 2,000 acres on the James River, Wilton hosted George Washington, Thomas Jefferson (while Governor of Virginia), and Marquis de Lafayette.
When the house was in danger of foreclosure in the 20th century, the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America intervened and saved the house from destruction by purchasing, dismantling, moving, and rebuilding it in 1934. Wilton was rebuilt in its current location in the West End of Richmond. Opened to the public since 1952, it is one of the best-preserved colonial mansions from the original 13 colonies.
Includes period pieces and furniture, plus a few original artifacts. Guided tours only.