- The property remains within the Marshall family until 1907, when the City of Richmond purchases it.
- It is slated for destruction (to make way for a high school), but is saved by local preservationists.
- In 1960 the house is declared a National Historic Landmark.
- In 2005, in recognition of more than 80 years of stewardship — and in honor of the 250th anniversary of John Marshall’s birth — the City of Richmond deeds the house to Preservation Virginia.
View Larger Map
This Federal-style brick house, built in 1790, was where the great Chief Justice and his family lived for 45 years until his death in 1835.
Located in the heart of downtown Richmond, in Historic Court End, guided tours take visitors through the two stories to view period rooms, a remarkable collection of original furnishings, and family memorabilia. Includes a landscaped garden in the backyard and a museum shop.
Open limited hours, Fridays and weekends, March through December.