George Wythe House

Williamsburg
VA

The George Wythe House in
Colonial Williamsburg

QUICK FACTS

           

LINKS
RELATED PLACES

This brick home was built in 1750 for Wythe, who was a lawyer, teacher of law, and a signer of the Declaration of Independence. The house served as Washington’s headquarters just before the Battle of Yorktown; French General Rochambeau made the home his headquarters after victory at Yorktown.

Part of Colonial Williamsburg.

John Adams was inaugurated as second president on March 4, 1797. Washington had preceded him to the hall and sat on the dais with Jefferson the Vice-President-elect, as Adams spoke. When the new President finished and left, Washington motioned to Jefferson to go next. The two Virginians had known each other since 1769, when Washington had been thirty-seven years old and Jefferson only twenty-six. From long habit and lingering respect, Jefferson now held back. But Washington gestured again, in a manner not to be ignored. The younger man was now Vice-President and must go first.

Richard Brookhiser
Founding Father: Rediscovering George Washington (1996)