Deshler-Morris House

Philadelphia (Germantown)
PA

Deshler-Morris House in Germantown

QUICK FACTS

           

LINKS
LOCATION

View Larger Map
Also known as the Germantown White House. Completed in 1772, British General Sir William Howe occupied the house after the Battle of Germantown in 1777; President Washington resided there in 1793 and 1794; includes period pieces and interactive exhibits.
Associated People

Paine’s pamphlet Common Sense (1775), urging the colonies to declare their independence, found 150,000 purchasers in a population of less than 3 million — the equivalent today of a sale of 14 million.

Richard Brookhiser
Gentleman Revolutionary: Gouverneur Morris, the Rake Who Wrote the Constitution (2003)