What ultimately convinced Americans that they must revolt in 1776 was not that they were naturally and inevitably republican, for if that were truly the case evolution, not revolution, would have been the eventual solution. Rather it was the pervasive fear that they were not predestined to be a virtuous and egalitarian people that in the last analysis drove them into revolution in 1776. It was this fear and not their confidence in the peculiarity of their character that made them so readily and so remarkably responsive to Thomas Paine’s warning that the time for independence was at hand and that delay would be disastrous. By 1776 it had become increasingly evident that if they were to remain the kind of people they wanted to be they must become free of Britain.
|Schuyler Mansion State Historic Site
|The Georgian house was built on a bluff overlooking the Hudson River in 1761 and was occupied by General Schuyler and his family until his death in 1804; available for tours.
|Overlooking the Hudson River, this reconstructed house was built about 1730 by the Dutch merchant Gulian Verplanck; it became headquarters for Baron von Steuben. The post-war Society of the Cincinnati was also founded here.
|Van Wyck Homestead Museum
|Built in 1732 by Dutch settlers, it was a headquarters for the Continental Army during the war; includes colonial artifacts as well as items relating to the history of Fishkill.
|U.S. Military Academy at West Point
|Established as a Military Academy in 1802, the West Point highlands were fortified during the war with forts, redoubts, and a protective Great Chain that stretched across the Hudson River. Contains historic sites and monuments pertaining to the Revolution.
|West Point Museum
|The oldest and largest military museum in the country.
|Bennington Battlefield State Historic Site
|Site of the 1777 battle, the 276 acres includes interpretive panels, information room, and game fields.
|John Jay Homestead State Historic Site
|Jay, who was the first U.S. Chief Justice, moved into the renovated and expanded 24-room farmhouse in 1801, where he lived until his death. The house is restored to the period of Jay's occupancy and includes extensive grounds with a formal garden and related farm structures.
|Thomas Paine Cottage
|The cottage was originally built on land granted by New York to Paine in 1784; it was moved to its present location, repaired, and dedicated in 1910 as a museum and historic site.
|Thomas Paine Memorial Building
|Home of the Thomas Paine Historical Association, the museum and library offer a substantial collection of first editions, rare prints, and manuscripts.
|Dyckman Farmhouse Museum
|This Dutch Colonial-style farmhouse was built by William Dyckman, c. 1784, and originally included several hundred acres. Today, nestled in a small park, the farmhouse is “an extraordinary reminder of early Manhattan.”
|Federal Hall National Memorial
|Originally City Hall of New York and in the 19th century a Customs House then part of the U.S Treasury, it was for a single year, 1789 - 90, the seat of the U.S. government.
|Fraunces Tavern Museum
|Originally a residence, Samuel Fraunces turned the building into a tavern in 1763. It became the setting for Washington’s farewell dinner with his officers in 1783 and is now a restaurant and museum in Manhattan’s financial district.
|Hamilton Grange National Memorial
|Completed in 1802, Alexander Hamilton commissioned this Federal style country home on 32-acres in upper Manhattan for use during the summer by his family.
|Manhattan's oldest existing house was built in 1756 as a summer retreat for loyalist British Lieutenant Colonel Roger Morris and his wife. It served briefly as Washington's headquarters in 1776; includes 12 restored period rooms.
|New-York Historical Society
|Founded in 1804, the Historical Society is both a museum and a library, with an outstanding collection of items from the American Revolution, the early republic, and on New York and its impact upon the nation.
|St. Paul’s Chapel
|Completed in 1766, St. Paul’s was the place of worship for British Generals Howe and Cornwallis. As President, Washington had a pew, over which, today, is a painting of the first U.S. Great Seal.
|The Anglican parish of Trinity Church was founded in 1698 in lower Manhattan; the first church building was constructed facing Wall Street the same year. The magnificent neo-gothic structure that one sees today is the congregation’s third church; the graveyard is the burial ground for several patriots, including Alexander Hamilton.
|Washington’s Headquarters State Historic Site
|Built sometime before 1770, this home served as headquarters for General Washington for nearly a year and a half until August 1783; includes period furnishings, artificacts, and a museum.
|Oriskany Battlefield State Historic Site
|Commemorating the battle fought in 1777, the battlefield includes a visitor's center and self-guided paths.
|Steuben Memorial State Historic Site
|Includes a replica cabin, which contains period pieces, five wooded acres, and the monument which marks Baron von Steuben’s burial spot.
|Fort Stanwix National Monument
|Built by the British in 1758, it went from American to British to American hands again during the war. The fort is almost completely reconstructed and includes an extensive archaeological collection, a visitor's center, and trails.
|Saratoga National Historical Park
|Covering more than 3,500 acres, the park includes the 1777 battlefield, the Saratoga Monument, and the Schuyler House; includes a visitor's center.
|Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site
|Site of the victorious 1779 battle led by American General Anthony Wayne, the 87 acres includes an earthen fort and a visitors center with a museum.
|Historical Society, Inc. of Tarrytown & Sleepy Hollow
|The Museum has a comprehensive display of research materials, art, and artifacts pertaining to the capture of the British Major John Andre, who was involved in Benedict Arnold’s defection.
|Built by the French 1755 - 59 as Fort Carillon, it was taken by the British in 1759 and renamed. During the war the fort went from British to American to British and to American again. Reconstruction began in 1908.
|Knox’s Headquarters State Historic Site
|Used by General Knox several times during the war, this 1754 Georgian-style house has been restored and “carefully furnished in period style.”
|New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site
|Preserves 120 acres of the original 1,600-acre encampment for some 7,500 American troops, 1782 - 83, as the war was winding down. The site includes a recreated camp, chapel, and living history demonstrations.
|The site of the unfinished Fort Constitution which was destroyed by the British in 1777, the island sits across the Hudson River from West Point. Some fortications are still standing and are available for guided tours.
|Created in 1959, it depicts the birth of the American navy in 1776 at Whitehall with dioramas, models, and artifacts.
|Philipse Manor Hall State Historic Site
|Home to loyalist Frederick Philipse III who successfully evaded the arrest ordered by General Washington in 1776; he eventually made his way to England. Highlights of the Hall include its 18th century, high style Georgian architecture and an impressive collection of presidential portraits, including five of Washington.
|Old Fort Niagara State Historic Site
|Built by the French beginning 1726; captured by the British during the French and Indian War. Includes original buildings and museum exhibits.
The Creation of the American Republic, 1776—1787 (1969)