Fort Constitution

New Castle
NH

Portrait by Artist to Come

QUICK FACTS

           

LINKS
LOCATION

View Larger Map
Originally named Fort William and Mary, colonists captured it 14 December 1774 in one of the first overt acts against England.
Associated People

The British red coat (which gave the British soldiers the soubriquet of lobsterback) had been instituted in 1660 and was not to leave the battlefield until 1882. It was the national corporate logo, and arrayed beneath it were subordinate brands — the regiments with their facing colors (the contrast color of the lapel and cuff), connected to the mother brand but differentiated.

Michael Stephenson
Patriot Battles: How the War of Independence Was Fought (2007)