View Larger Map
Restored in 1960, the Old Corner Bookstore began as an apothecary shop built by Dr. Thomas Crease after the Great Fire of 1711 — on property that once belonged to Puritan dissident Anne Hutchinson.
In 1828 a bookstore and printing shop was opened and flourished through 1903 under various proprietors. Its famous peak, when publisher Ticknor and Fields became America’s leading publisher (1833 – 64) were the years of publications by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Ralph Waldo Emerson, John Greenleaf Whittier, Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr., and Louisa May Alcott, as well as Charles Dickens.
Part of the Freedom Trail™.