Fort Lee Historic Park

Fort Lee
NJ

Portrait by Artist to Come

QUICK FACTS

LINKS
LOCATION

View Larger Map
Built in 1776 and originally called Fort Constitution, Fort Lee stood opposite Fort Washington on the Hudson River. The park includes reconstructed huts, reproduction gun batteries, a visitor center, and fine views of the Hudson and Manhattan.

At the end of March [1783] Franklin applied to [French Foreign Secretary] Vergennes for permission to publish a complete translation of the United States constitutions in French, the only language in which they could be widely read. He was eager to correct Europe’s misapprehensions about the new nation; he knew as well that he was offering up an advertisement for American trade and immigration.... Copies went out over the summer to the entire diplomatic corps and, in extravagantly bound editions, to Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. The most influential of Franklin’s European publications the constitutions were universally well received.

Stacy Schiff
A Great Improvisation: Franklin, France, and the Birth of America (2005)