Engraving on wove paper. Graphics Arts Collection, Princeton University Library, Princeton, NJ.
Nassau Hall originally housed the entire College of New Jersey, as Princeton was then named. Principally designed by Robert Smith and finished in 1756, the building was named after King William III, Prince of Orange, of the House of Nassau.
Two cannon balls, fired by Continental soldiers, hit the stone structure during the Battle of Princeton (1777) and the damage can still be seen today.