Plaster; 2' 8-11/16" x 4' 7-1/2" (83.1 cm x 141.0 cm). North Carolina Museum of History, Raleigh, NC.
The original plaster model, at the Museo Canova di Possagno in Italy, was reproduced and sent as a gift to North Carolina in 1910. In 1970, Italian artist Romano Vio used the model to sculpt the carrara marble copy that stands in the rotunda of the capitol building today.
The statue depicts George Washington as a Roman Republican, penning his 1796 Farewell Address, preparing to relinquish power once again.