Oil on canvas; 20 1/2 x 29 7/16in. (52.1 x 74.8cm). Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, Colonial Williamsburg, VA.
The fort on Sullivan's Island, South Carolina, was incomplete when Commodore Sir Peter Parker of the Royal Navy and nine British men-of-war attacked it on 28-Jun-1776. But the ships were forced to retire after a nine-hour battle and Charlestown was saved from British occupation. The fort was subsequently named in honor of its commander, Colonel William Moultrie.