Fort Mifflin

Philadelphia
PA

Portrait by Artist to Come


QUICK FACTS

           

LINKS
LOCATION

View Larger Map
Originally called Fort Island Battery and built by the British in 1771 on the Delaware River, the earthen fort was also known as Mud Island Fort, since it was build on Mud Island. In 1777 colonials held the Fort for five weeks against a British siege. Includes 14 restored buildings, weapons demonstrations, and cannon firings.

Charles Willson Peale, despite his devotion to the taxonomic and contemplative majesty of the natural world, nevertheless loved novelties and used all sorts of amusements to attract customers to his museum. He eventually resorted to hiring a popular musical performer who played five different instruments simultaneously, using all parts of his body. Following Peale’s death the museum passed into the enterprising hands of P. T. Barnum, becoming part of his traveling circus — a romantic ending for an Enlightenment institution.

Gordon S. Wood
Empire of Liberty: A History of the Early Republic, 1789–1815 (2009)