Cliveden

Philadelphia (Germantown)
PA

Cliveden in Germantown, Philadelphia


QUICK FACTS

           

LINKS
LOCATION

View Larger Map
Also known as the Benjamin Chew House. Built between 1763 - 67, Cliveden is considered to be one of the finest colonial homes in the U.S. It sheltered the British during the Battle of Germantown in 1777 and still shows the scars of cannon fire.

Mocking idleness and turning labor [in the North] into a badge of honor made the South, with its leisured aristocracy supported by slavery, seem even more anomalous than it had been at the time of the Revolution, thus aggravating the growing sectional split in the country. Many Southern aristocrats began emphasizing their cavalier status in contrast to the money-grubbing northern Yankees. They were fond of saying that they were real gentlemen, a rare thing in America.

Gordon S. Wood
Empire of Liberty: A History of the Early Republic, 1789–1815 (2009)